Monday, October 5, 2009

The Killers - All These Things I've Done

title : All These Things I've Done
artist : The Killers
year charted : 2005
chart : #74 Billboard Hot 100; #18 UK Singles Chart
album : Hot Fuss





about the song :
"All These Things I've Done" is about growing up and moving on from the past, trying to make yourself a better person.
i first came across this song in the 2008 PBS documentary series "Carrier", aired by National Geographic channel in Singapore.
My 4-year son loves this song too ... he was watching Carrier with me. His favorite sing-along segment :"I Got Soul But I'm Not A Soldier" ... even though he hadnt a clue what he's singing about, nor the meaning of "soul" ...
I have heard and know songs by The Killers from this very album (Hot Fuss) ... but somehow i missed out on their 4th single from that debut album.

  • The song was featured in the closing credits of the 2005 film The Matador,

  • as well as the 2007 movie Southland Tales as a crucial part of the storyline in which Pilot Abilene (played by Justin Timberlake) lip-synchs it. It was also mentioned in the graphic novel preceding the film, Southland Tales: The Prequel Saga.

  • It also played over the opening of the pilot of the television series Jericho.

  • In addition, it is heard at the end of the 2008 Ben Stein film Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed. While the band did give permission for the song to be used, they only did so because they were misled about the intent of the movie. They later sought to have the song removed from the film, but it was too late.

  • The song plays in virtually its entirety over the first segment of the first episode of the 2008 PBS documentary series Carrier

  • Nike used the song in a commercial for the 2008 Summer Olympics. Following this Nike ad, the song rose as high as #38 on iTunes.

  • It is played at the Bell Centre in Montreal before every Montreal Canadiens home game.

  • In 2009 it was voted at Number 29 in UK radio station XFM's "100 Greatest Songs of All Time

Lyrics :


When there's nowhere else to run
Is there room for one more son
One more son
If you can hold on
If you can hold on, hold on
I wanna stand up, I wanna let go
You know, you know - no you don't, you don't
I wanna shine on in the hearts of men
I want a meaning from the back of my broken hand

Another head aches, another heart breaks
I am so much older than I can take
And my affection, well it comes and goes
I need direction to perfection, no no no no

Help me out
Yeah, you know you got to help me out
Yeah, oh don't you put me on the blackburner
You know you got to help me out

And when there's nowhere else to run
Is there room for one more son
These changes ain't changing me
The cold-hearted boy I used to be

Yeah, you know you got to help me out
Yeah, oh don't you put me on the blackburner
You know you got to help me out
You're gonna bring yourself down
Yeah, you're gonna bring yourself down
Yeah, you're gonna bring yourself down

I got soul, but I'm not a soldier
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier
...

Yeah, you know you got to help me out
Yeah, oh don't you put me on the blackburner
You know you got to help me out
You're gonna bring yourself down
You're gonna bring yourself down
Yeah, oh don't you put me on the blackburner
Yeah, you're gonna bring yourself down

Over and out, last call for sin
While everyone's lost, the battle is won
With all these things that I've done
All these things that I've done
If you can hold on
If you can hold on

remixed versions :
1) 2007 Supercalifragilistic Remix
2) Morel's Pink Noise Vox Mix


about the video :
this song has 2 videos.
The first version has The Killers singing while walking down a London street.

The second version was directed by Dutch photographer Anton Corbijn, and features a surreal, dream-like sequence where The Killers, dressed as cowboys, are attacked by scantily-clad female warriors armed with boomerangs (possibly inspired by the Russ Meyer film Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!).

2nd Version



No comments:

Post a Comment