Saturday, August 29, 2009

Feature Song : Can't Find My Way Home


Title :
Can't Find My Way Home
Original Recording Artist : Blind Faith
written by : Steve Winwood
Year Of Original Recording : 1969
chart : Did Not Chart (in US)
album : Blind Faith


about the song / songfacts :
Blind Faith was a Supergroup made up of Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Ginger Baker, and Ric Grech.
Winwood wrote this and sang lead.
Clapton played acoustic guitar on this, which he rarely did. In his previous group, Cream, he played long, intense solos, something he wanted to get away from with Blind Faith.
The album cover was a photo of an 11-year-old girl. She was naked and holding a model spaceship, which caused a lot of controversy. They released an alternate cover with a picture of the band when stores refused to carry the original.
Clapton sometimes plays this at his concerts, with a member of his band singing.
A common misconception is that Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood reunited at the Crossroads Guitar Festival, July 28, 2007. However, the first true live reunion occurred 2 months earlier at an event called Countryside Rocks at Highclere Castle, Hampshire, UK on May 19, 2007. Steve Winwood performed his set and Eric came on later as a guest. Together they played this song as well as "Watch Your Step," "Presence of the Lord," "Crossroads," "Little Queen Of Spades," "Had to Cry Today" and "Gimme Some Lovin'."


Meaning of Song :
According to Steve Winwood in an interview was that the song was written for a dear friend and his struggles with drug and alcohol abuse. He said he wrote it as if it were himself struggling and a inter discussion with himself.
"Come down off your thrown and leave your body alone Somebody must change" = Struggle between physical addiction and spiritual awakening.
"You are the reason I've been waiting here so long" = Again, he has been waiting for himself to return from addiction. The addict is not who he is
"Somebody holds the key" = he does
"I've been up and I just dont have the time and I'm wasted and I can't find my way home" = home is him, A lost aging man wasted on drugs trying to find himself......home


Cover Hierarchy : (truncated list)
Blind Faith, Blind Faith (1969) **ORIGINAL RECORDING ARTIST**
Yvonne Elliman, Yvonne Elliman (1972)
Ellen McIlwaine, Honky Tonk Angel (1972) [you can find a sample on Last FM]
Eric Clapton (live, with Yvonne Elliman), 461 Ocean Boulevard [Deluxe Edition, CD2] 1974
Swans, The Burning World (1989)
House Of Lords, Sahara (1990)
Joe Cocker, Night Calls (1991)
Elkie Brooks, Circles (1995)
Electronic, Twisted Tenderness (2000)
Alsion Krauss, Crossing Jordan Soundtrack (2003)
Widespread Panic, Über Cobra [live album] (2004)
Styx, Big Bang Theory (2005)


lyrics :
Come down off your throne and leave your body alone.
Somebody must change.
You are the reason I've been waiting so long.
Somebody holds the key.

But I'm near the end and I just ain't got the time
And I'm wasted and I can't find my way home.

Come down on your own and leave your body alone.
Somebody must change.
You are the reason I've been waiting all these years.
Somebody holds the key.

Chorus

But I can't find my way home.
But I can't find my way home.
But I can't find my way home.
But I can't find my way home.
Still I can't find my way home,
And I ain't done nothing wrong,
But I can't find my way home.


Audio Clips :
Blind Faith - Can't Find My Way Home (Electric Version)


Blind Faith - Can't Find My Way Home


House Of Lords, Sahara (1990)


others :
Eric Clapton (live, with Yvonne Elliman), 461 Ocean Boulevard [Deluxe Edition, CD2] 1974
Styx, Big Bang Theory (2005)
Alsion Krauss, Crossing Jordan Soundtrack (2003)
Widespread Panic, Über Cobra [live album] (2004)
Bonnie Raitt with John Hammond Jr. & Lowell George (live 1971)
Swans, The Burning World (1989)
Electronic, Twisted Tenderness (2000)



YouTube :
Blind Faith


Steve Winwood & Eric Clapton, Crossroads Guitar Festival 2007


House Of Lords


Elkie Brooks


Yvonne Elliman


Joe Cocker


Styx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eg0koYuWTI (embedding disabled)


FULL TAGS :
ACT:Alison Krauss, ACT:Blind Faith, ACT:Elkie Brooks, ACT:House Of Lords, ACT:Styx, ACT:Joe Cocker, ACT:Widespread Panic, ACT:Yvonne Elliman, ACT:Steve Winwood & Eric Clapton, ACT:Bonnie Raitt, ACT:Eric Clapton
60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s
YOUTUBE
Song : Can't Find My Way Home
All-Time Favourites
Event: Crossroads Guitar Festival 2007

FINAL TAGS are truncated due to a 200-character limit allowed

1 comment:

  1. related post :
    http://wa11ofsound.blogspot.com/2009/08/feature-song-cant-find-my-way-home-tags.html

    ReplyDelete