Saturday, August 22, 2009

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Almost Cut My Hair

title : Almost Cut My Hair
artist : Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
year : 1970
chart : Did Not Chart
album : Déjà Vu

about the song:
this song is an album track from CSNY's first album as a band, and the second by the trio configuration of Crosby, Stills, and Nash.
the album Déjà Vu was released in March '70.
"Almost Cut My Hair" features :
David Crosby - lead vocals & electric guitar
Stephen Stills - electric guitar
Graham Nash - organ
Neil Young - electric guitar

songfacts:
David Crosby recorded this track with the last remaining moments of studio time that the band had remaining, and while he was still reeling from the death of Christine Hinton days earlier in a car accident. She had been his girlfriend, and he was obviously still grieving. The pain in his normally smooth voice reflects a cracked and angry quality, belied by the light-hearted directive he makes at the start of the recording. If you listen to it, he starts, then stops, and comments as to the pace and gain of the recording, then the song starts again. According to the story as told by Crosby on the air with Bob Coburn of KLOS in the late 1990s, the recording is the only take that was done.

The opening comment on this song, ("I will now proceed to entangle the entire area") was actually edited onto this song and was actually spoken prior to cutting a song called "Horses in the Rainstorm". You can find the original track on the two-CD Anthology, "Carry On"

In this song David Crosby sings "I'll let my freak flag fly" which is a reference to Jimi Henrdix's "If 6 was 9" in which Hendrix sings the same lyrics

about the album:
In 2003, the album was ranked number 147 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.
The same year, the TV network VH1 named Déjà Vu the 61st greatest album of all time.
The album ranked at #14 for the Top 100 Albums of 1970 and
#217 overall by Rate Your Music.


CNSY - Almost Cut My Hair (Live)


CSNY - Almost Cut My Hair (from Easy Rider)


Cactus Soul - Almost Cut My Hair (a damn good cover of the song)



lyrics:
Almost cut my hair
It happened just the other day
It's gettin kinda long
I coulda said it wasn't in my way
But I didn't and I wonder why
I feel like letting my freak flag fly
Cause I feel like I owe it to someone

Must be because I had the flu' for Christmas
And I'm not feeling up to par
It increases my paranoia
Like looking at my mirror and seeing a police car
But I'm not giving in an inch to fear
Cause I promised myself this year
I feel like I owe it to someone

When I finally get myself together
I'm going to get down in that sunny southern weather
And I find a place inside to laugh
Separate the wheat from the chaff
I feel like I owe it to someone

Déjà Vu album version :














Unreleased unedited original version (from the 1991 box set : CSN) :


1 comment:

  1. hey ! such a lovely song to hear. I've been searching this kind of song for too long , one of my all time fav song , this song melody really amazed me thanks for Almost Cut My Hair Lyrics this song lyric . keep sharing

    ReplyDelete