Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Allman Brothers Band - Blue Sky

title : Blue Sky
year : 1972
chart : did not chart
album : Eat A Peach

about the song :
Allman's guitarist Dickey Betts wrote this about his Native American girlfriend, Sandy "Bluesky" Wabegijig. They married in 1973 and divorced 2 years later.

This was the first time Betts sang lead on an Allman Brothers song. He also sang lead on their biggest hit, "Ramblin' Man."

For a while, Betts refused to perform this after his 1975 divorce with Sandy, whom he wrote this for.

This was released after Duane Allman's death on Eat A Peach. The album is dedicated to him.

Betts and Sandy Bluesky had a daughter, Jessica, on May 14, 1972. Betts wrote "Jessica" about her a year later.

Duane Allman and Dickey Betts played on the bridge solo - one playing "lead" lead, the other playing "rhythm" lead. They switch up half way through - listen very carefully and you will hear them synch up on a riff for two measures or so right around 2:30 into the track.


lyrics :
Walk along the river, sweet lullaby, it just keeps on flowing,
It don't worry 'bout where it's going, no, no.
Don't fly, mister blue bird, I'm just walking down the road,
Early morning sunshine tell me all I need to know

Chorus
You're my blue sky, you're my sunny day.
Lord, you know it makes me high when you turn your love my way,
Turn your love my way, yeah.

Good old Sunday morning, bells are ringing everywhere.
Goin to Carolina, it won't be long and I'll be there

Chorus

No comments:

Post a Comment