Monday, June 29, 2009

Walter Egan - Magnet And Steel

title : Magnet And Steel
artist : Walter Egan
year : 1978
chart : #8 Billboard Hot 100
album : Not Shy

about the album :

Originally released in 1978 by Columbia Records, this is of course the album that yielded Walter Egan's biggest hit, "Magnet and Steel." Not Shy is Egan's second official solo album. It was produced by Lindsey Buckingham, Richard Dashut, and Walter Egan and on several tracks features backing vocals by Lindsey Buckingham and/or Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac.

Not Shy has been re-released on compact disc twice. The first cd release is dated 1993 and was distributed by Razor and Tie Music Corp. In 2004, the album was again re-released on compact disc as a two-in-one compilation with Fundamental Roll on Acadia/Evangeline records.

about the song :
Stevie Nicks sang on this track, and provided inspiration for the lyrics. Walter Egan told us about this song:
"In 1976 I was living in Pomona, California and I had a notion to write a song with the 'stroll' beat (made famous by Chuck Willis) and so began the rough outline of what was tentatively called 'Don't Turn Away Now.' Now, this was also at the time of putting together my first album, Fundamental Roll, and my two new friends and producers, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks and I were starting the recording process.
On the night when Stevie did the background vocals for my song 'Tunnel o' Love,' my nascent amorous feelings toward her came into a sharper focus - I was smitten by the kitten, as they say. It was on my drive home at 3 AM from Van Nuys to Pomona that I happened to be behind a metal flake blue Continental with ground effects and a diamond window in back. I was inspired by the car's license plate: "Not Shy."
By the time I pulled into my driveway I had formulated the lyrics and come up with the magnet metaphor. From there the song was finished in 15 minutes.
It was especially satisfying to have Stevie sing on 'Magnet,' since it was about her (and me)."

This was used in the 1997 movie Boogie Nights.

This was Egan's only Top 40 chart entry for his own recordings, though he also wrote Night's first hit, "Hot Summer Nights," which reached #18.


"Ooh, ooh, ah
Now, I told you so you ought to know (ooh,ooh,ah)
It takes some time for a feeling to grow (ooh,ooh,ah)
You're so close now I can't let you go (ooh,ooh,ah)
And I can't let go
With you I'm not shy to show the way I feel
With you I might try my secrets to reveal
For you are a magnet and I am steel

I can't hope that I'll hold you for long (ooh,ooh,ah)
You're a woman who's lost in your song (ooh,ooh,ah)
But the love that I feel is so strong (ooh,ooh,ah)
And it can't be wrong
With you I'm not shy to show the way I feel
With you I might try my secrets to reveal
For you are a magnet and I am steel

[break]

With you I'm not shy to show the way I feel
With you I might try my secrets to reveal
For you are a magnet and I am steel
For you are a magnet and I am steel
For you are a magnet and I am steel"

No comments:

Post a Comment